Monday, December 10, 2012

Snowflake Ornaments

If you live in warm weather at Christmas time, then you know the importance of snowflakes.  Waking up to blue skies and sunny weather year round is great, but I do admit that I miss the change of seasons.  Especially at Christmas time.  That is why I decided that this year I was going to make it snow at my house.  I even wanted to buy a flocked tree.  I will be flocking my own soon, with a little paint and glitter.  I wanted to decorate in snowflakes this year.  Sparkly, icey snowflakes.  The classic cut outs of white paper and these awesome hot glue snowflakes.  So grab your:

glue gun & Tons of Glue Sticks
wax paper
mod podge/spong or brush
snowflake clip art printed from computer
dish soap
sugar/salt glitter
string/twine

 Lay out your template under the wax paper shiny side up.  Coat the paper with a thin layer of dish soap and wet your fingers to spread it around the area of the snowflake.  Begin to glue with a slow steady movement so you make it thick enough that it wont break.  You can still fix it if it does by adding for glue to the stressed areas.  The glue may slip around because of the dish soap but it will keep it from sticking to the paper and you having to peel it off.  If that does happen, after the glue is pretty much dry, peel it off the paper, and rinse under cold water to get excess paper off and glue.



Make your mixture of sugar, salt, gitter in a bowl or plate that is big enough to fit the snowflake. Do this while your snowflakes are drying.


Once it is dry, rinse under cold water to remove soapy residue.  Apply a dab of hot glue to one of the tips and place  your string for hanging.

Apply a thin layer of mod podge to the snowflake then lay in the snow mixture, making sure it gets covered.





Lay out to dry about 20 minutes. Shake off any excess snow mixture.

Isn't that pretty?  I plan on making tons more and replacing most of my other ornaments with them.  I want it to look like a Winter Wonder Land in my House this year.  I have had the same old stuff for about 7 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment